Structured development of optical interferometry requires leaping towards a European network of VLTI Expertise Centres. These centres will be the backbone of dissemination activities to new VLTI users, by organising observing preparation and data reduction schools, by co-organising VLTI open days, and being the end-points of the Fizeau staff exchange programme.
The leap aims at bringing the impact and return of the programme in spreading know-how in Europe to a new level. It follows at a smaller scale the successful experience of the ALMA Regional Centres, where researchers travel to the expertise centres to reduce their data. The centres will be the visible first contact point for astronomers interested in using VLTI.
The present network of VLTI Expertise Centres include:
- Jean-Marie Mariotti Centre (JMMC) - Service aux Utilisateurs du VLTI, (SUV) France
- Portuguese VLTI Expertise Centre, Portugal
- University of Exeter, United Kingdom
- Observatoire de la Cote d'Azur, France;
- KU Leuven, Belgium
- Leiden Observatory, The Netherlands
- Konkoly Observatory, Hungary
More information: https://european-interferometry.eu/